Garden Plot update - Third and final part !

Garden Plot update - Third and final part !

So as you saw yesterday, we have just had a lot of lovely rain.

I have also just finished the final part of the soil renewal at the garden plot. Luckily for me, I did it before the rain on Sunday (July 23rd 2017) AND I planted some corn, so now I am very hopeful of good and delicious things to come !

Anyway, back to the soil.

Here are some photos documenting the third and final stage of the plot renewal and soil improvement. Please bear in mind that it takes 7 years, on average, to make good garden soil. So while this is a good start, it is going to be a continuous process as I go through the seasons.

You saw in the previous post about this subject that I had already soaked the soil so that was ready to receive amendments. I amended the soil with steer manure and coffee grounds. You can purchase bags of manure, but at the community garden we get it in bulk. I also added some mushroom compost that I had purchased. This is fantastic stuff if you can get it.



 
Steer manure on top of soil
 
 
Steer manure mixed with coffee grounds
 
 
Delicious ! - well for the plants anyway.
 
After spreading the amendments over the soil beds, I just started mixing them into the original garden soil, using a shovel and digging with an English Fork. ( this is a 4 tine stainless steel digging fork, very different from a pitchfork, which is not to be used for digging).
 
To till or not to till - that is the question ?
 
I like to dig the soil manually, for the following reasons:-
 
1. The exercise - it's cheaper than the gym ! I am also outdoors, enjoying my garden and getting all that fresh air and horticultural therapy, as well as stretching my muscles and burning calories - all for a good cause.
 
2. Because I believe that tilling destroys the actual structure of the soil. Tilling eventually reduces the soil to such a fine substrate, that it blows away easily in our dust storms. Also, by excess tilling you are continually bringing the soil organisms to the soil surface where they dry out and die and you are  upsetting the soil ecosystem, which is keeping the soil in a healthy balance.
 
3. I don't actually own a tiller, nor do I wish to buy one that will also, if gas driven, add to noise and air pollution.
 
However, if you like to till, then go for it ! whatever works best for you.
 
 
Here are the final beds laid out, with various organic matter laid down in between the rows for small pathways. Pine needles, wood chips and leaves.
 
 
 
You can see the drip irrigation is laid out too. This was already present at the plot I took over and may need some attention in the future.
 
 
Brown drip irrigation tubing attached to main black poly line.
 
 
A visitor ! unusual pale praying mantis - very cool.
 
Hopefully the corn will now germinate and grow well. I will update with photos - so watch this space !
 
Happy Gardening 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to grow the perfect onion in the AZ low Desert (or so we hope!)

Malabar Spinach - a heat tolerant Summer green

Spring Gardenng Classes I am teaching