How the corn has grown in a month !!

How the corn has grown in a month !!

So yesterday I visited the garden plot at SCGC ( Scottsdale Community Garden Club) to see how the corn had grown during my 3 week trip to Europe.

As you can see below, it has come on along quite a bit !


The ears are forming nicely.
 


Probably another week and it will be ready - yum !
 

 
The good thing about planting corn in late summer for fall harvesting, is that it does not seem to get the "worms" so much, that often plague spring corn. The "worms" are the larval stage of the
Corn Borer - "Helicoverpa zea" - a moth that lays it eggs on the young  plants.
 
I wonder if this time of planting does not tie in so much with the life cycle of the moth. Anyway, it does seem to not get as many worms - which works for me !!
 
Another update and harvest time in a week - I hope !
 
Happy Gardening

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to grow the perfect onion in the AZ low Desert (or so we hope!)

Malabar Spinach - a heat tolerant Summer green

Spring Gardenng Classes I am teaching