AZ Style Summer Vegetable Frittata

AZ Style Summer Vegetable Frittata

Last week in the garden I harvested squash, yellow tomatoes and some bell peppers. We are getting a bit bored of eating lots of spiralized squash salads, even though the salads have been good, so I thought I would have a go at a summer vegetable frittata - AZ style.
Making a frittata on the stove top is also a way of cooking something relatively quickly, without making the kitchen too hot ( believe it or not, this is a very important consideration in AZ in the summer). The less time you have the oven on when it is 116 degrees outside, the better, trust me on this ! I use a cast iron pan which I love.

Anyway here's the finished dish, which I have to say was delicious and if you would like to know what I did and how to make it, then read on.........

 
Ingredients
1 onion chopped ( I use my own, harvested in may)
Summer vegetables of your choice - I used peppers, squash, tomatoes. You could also add a chile if you like.
5 or 6 large eggs
Grated Cheese - your choice. I used a mild gruyere and parmesan, but I think this would work well with many kind of cheese.
Turmeric ( I put a teaspoon of Turmeric in many of my cooked recipes, it is good for reducing inflammation in the body as well as being an antioxidant. It has a very mild taste, though it does give the food a yellowish tinge)
Couple of sprigs of thyme
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 tbsp. olive oil
 
Heat olive oil in a cast iron pan.
Chop onion and peppers and fry in olive oil. I used a red onion here and yellow and purple peppers. Fry until translucent.
 

 

 
Add chopped squash, I used green zucchini. You can add turmeric at this point too.
 

 
 
Add small yellow tomatoes, cut in half. The onions must be cooked before you add the tomatoes, as the onions slow down their cooking once you add the tomatoes. Sprinkle with thyme leaves from a couple of sprigs of thyme. I used lemon thyme. Cook for about 5 minutes. There should be no liquid in the pan.
 

 
Whisk the eggs together until frothy, add salt and pepper and pour over the vegetables. Keep the heat at medium and cook until the eggs are not runny in the middle of the pan any more. They will be almost set.
 
 
Turn off hob and put broiler on high. Sprinkle over grated cheese and top with grated parmesan. Remember, the choice of cheese is yours, but the parmesan on top will make it crispy. Put under broiler until cheese is bubbling and looks crispy, this does not take very long, so be careful it does not burn !
 
 
Here it is served with salad and beets ( the beets were harvested in May and have kept well in the chiller tray in the fridge. )
 
 
The absolute delight in this recipe for me, is that all the vegetables and herbs came from the garden. All I had to buy were the eggs and the cheese - now if I only had chickens and a cow...........
 
Happy Eating and Happy Gardening !!

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to grow the perfect onion in the AZ low Desert (or so we hope!)

Malabar Spinach - a heat tolerant Summer green

Spring Gardenng Classes I am teaching